Founder & CEO, EncoreFX (Current)
Based in Victoria, BC with branches across Canada, EncoreFX provides tailored access to the foreign exchange markets for companies of all sizes.
President & CEO, Gustavson Capital Corporation (Current)
Founded in Victoria, Gustavson Capital Corporation (GCC) follows a mandate of fostering entrepreneurialism and is currently investing in small to mid-market companies across a broad range of sectors.
Founder, President & CEO, Custom House Ltd (1992-2009)
Peter founded Custom House Ltd, one of the world’s largest nonbank foreign exchange companies, and guided it through more than 17 years of growth up until its sale to Western Union in September 2009 for $370 Million USD. At that time, it operated over 75 branches in seven countries, counted in excess of 40,000 corporate customers worldwide and employed approxi-mately 650 people. Under Peter’s leadership, Custom House was named by Deloitte as one of the “50 Best-Managed Companies in Canada” for 7 years in a row, receiving Platinum Club status in 2008 and 2009.
Career Highlights and Accomplishments
- Naming of the Peter B. Gustavson School of Business at the University of Victoria (2010)
- Recipient of the Vancouver Island Business Lifetime Achievement Award (2005)
- Participant in Federal Trade missions to Beijing and Moscow/Berlin/Munich (2002/2005)
- Recipient of the Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year Award (2002)
Community Involvement and Board Membership
In addition to Peter’s personal philanthropic involvement in organizations within his community, Peter’s past and current Board Membership and Service includes:
- Chair of the Peter B. Gustavson School of Business “Distinguished Entrepreneur of the Year” Awards Committee
- Board of Governors, University of Victoria
- Member of the Canadian Chamber of Commerce
- President of the Canadian Foreign Exchange Dealers’ Association
- Consultant to the Federal Government on the creation of anti-money laundering and proceeds of crime legislation
- Director and Chair, Finance and Audit Committee of the Royal BC Museum
Peter graduated with a Bachelor of Commerce (Hons.) from the University of Manitoba in 1979. He obtained his Chartered Accountancy designation in 1982 and was awarded the title “Fellow Chartered Accountant” by the Institute of Chartered Accountants of BC in 2005.